.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Thursday, April 29, 2004

With Out Compliments

I don't sleep. At least, I don't sleep well. I usually only get about six hours of sleep, most of which I wake up for no reason only to fall back asleep. There are even a few nights where I sleepwalk, waking up in the kitchen or standing in my room. I usually figure whatever it was I was doing must have been important, because I'm usually trying to move or organize things.

But I digress.

Like I said, I never get enough sleep. Showing up to work in the morning is pure agony. Imagine waking up every day with a horrible hangover, without the pride of earning it. The bags under my eyes can now be considered luggage. My skin takes on a yellow hue, though I usually blame this on the fluorescent lights. So as you can imagine I normally look like crap.

But last night was different some how, at about five in the morning I heard a noise in the living room and immediately went into alert mode. I was fully awake and ready to bust out my kung-fu on any would be intruders. When I made my way to the living room I found that it was merely the water cooler gurgling. The coward in me rejoiced. But oddly enough the adrenaline woke me up fully. In fact I was so awake I didn't even feel like going back to sleep. This meant I could technically sleep in for two hours, which I did.

And it was good.

On average when I show up to work at nine I'm a zombie. I run on my own automated systems, driving to work, doing my job, I really don't wake up till about 11. But today I was quite awake, I felt bright eyed and a little bushy tailed. When I showed up everyone said the same thing, "wow, you look like crap!" I tried not to take offence.

"No sleep again?"

"Maybe you should see a doctor."

It turns out tricking your body into thinking it's sleeping doesn't count. To me, aside from bed head, I looked fairly normal, disheveled, perhaps, but normal. Through out the rest of the day it's been the same thing, people keep pointing out that I look terrible, but I feel fine.

Even now, with the day half way over, people are still pointing out how horrific I look due to lack of sleep. I'm almost tempted to tell them just how disgusting they look. At least I have an excuse.

Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home