.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Like You, But Better

We pride ourselves on our talents. Be it playing a sport or cooking a meal, these talents define us.

While we might not be the best at our "trademark talents" we do know that we do them to the best of our ability. When we find people who are better at our "signature moves" we can at least take some solace in knowing that we still have other skills that surpass theirs. (nothing wrong with taking comfort in "one-upping" competition.)

So how do you react when you meet someone who is better than you at every single one of your best talents?

Now from time to time I've come across many people who have been "better" but I've always have an ace up my sleeve. Something giving me the ability to say "...Yeah, but I'm still better at ______"

Recently I met a guy at my work that surpasses every one of my talents in every (accessible*) way. He's far more likeable, funnier, smarter, a better snowboarder, has a quicker wit, taller, better looking, can quote movies better, and is even a better gamer.

I've racked my brain over this, and honestly, he's got me beat. To add insult to injury he even has some talents that I Covent. Yeah, he's an artist too.

Now, he's a cool guy and he'd make a good friend, so believe it or not, I'm not bitter. But I have to admit that I wish I had at least one talent that I could claim as my own instead of just "runner up."

There is a fine line between pride and envy, and it's about as thick as the line between best and second best.





*There are just some things I'm not going to try and compare

Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

5 Comments:

  • Quicker wit then my friend Exile? That can't be! I refuse to believe it.

    Here are some thing to find out thou:

    - Does he have a wicked cool electric shock game?
    - Does he have a super cute lady friend that will fly across the country to see him?
    - How big is his snake??

    On a side note, I know exactly what you are talking about and dammit and can be annoying! We still think you are aces thou!

    By Blogger Sassy, at Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:39:00 AM  

  • Yea I was gonna say I bet your snake is longer than his...

    and you have a definite way with words that I bet he doesn't.

    =)

    And I bet he doens't have one hella girlfriend like you've got either....

    By Blogger Robyn, at Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:26:00 AM  

  • Exile babe,
    I have been where in this situation before, and it bugs the crap outta me!!
    Just know in your heart and mind that you have am amazing sense of humour, you are very smart and you are just great all over (hehehe). Even though I did WHIP your ass in cruisin USA, you are a great gamer!
    By the way the whole "better looking thing" give your head a shake, you are a hottie;P
    I am also gonna have to take Sassy's and Robyn's side on the whole snake thing too!!
    *muah*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, February 11, 2007 8:54:00 AM  

  • Better is a relevant term. Maybe at home he's a total slob that collects his toenail clippings and only eats moldy cheese. See? I have no idea where I was going with that other than to say, you're all right by me, buddy.

    By Blogger Randi, at Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:44:00 AM  

  • Sassy- well, seeing as though being up so early in the morning has dumbed me down conciderably he does have me in the wit department. as for the snake... well... i don't think that something that one dude should check out on another dude.

    robyn- i like that best thing about me is hella

    hella- well i am one sexy bitch, and as long as i have my sexy bitch then i'm all good

    randi- omg, i forgot about that, she probabably has a better toenail collection then i do, jeeeze, rub it in why don't ya

    H.Wood- you've made me an offer i can not refuse

    By Blogger exile, at Sunday, February 11, 2007 2:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home