.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sharpening The Resolution

today I got into a debate (which degenerated into a debacle) over the
concepts behind the "New Year's Resolution".

the discussion started out simple enough. a co-worker told me that last year
her resolution was to get Laser Eye Surgery (which she did). and after a few
moments of pondering opened the floor to statement: "I don't think that
counts as a resolution."

my logic behind my statement was that I assumed that a New Year's Resolution
decision following a preset course of action that requires commitment
through out the year. So if your resolution it to quit smoking, you must put
in the effort not only to quit, but to continue not smoking through out the
year. (same thing with going to the gym.)

ergo, I figured that a one time procedure, like laser eye surgery, would not
count simply because once it's done it's done, and it can't be "undone" by
your own means. (you can undo a resolution to do something by quitting).

thus, my stance still stands that, while making your self face your fears
and get the procedure, it does not count for a resolution.

unfortunately for my self, no one in my office agrees with me on this issue.
the official view point of those around me is that there are no rules to a
New Years Resolution and that it can be a one time thing.

here is where I see the flaw in this "no rules for resolutions" thing (get
out your pens and paper):

Here's The Set Up- You realize that you don't spend as much time with your
son as you think you should due to work and life and blah blah blah. so you
decide to spend more time with your son.

Which one of these "New Year's Resolutions" will accomplish this goal?

A). "My New Year's Resolution is to go camping with my son this summer."

B). "My New Year's Resolution is to spend Saturday mornings with my son."

So now I leave it to all of you out there in blogger land, do you think
there should be some rule (or guidelines at minimum) for New Year's
Resolutions? if so, what do you think they should be?

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home