.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Don't Listen To Professionals, They Don't Know What They're Talking About



My arm is complete...
My addiction is fed...

Exile Industries is back on-line and fully operational!
(well, as operational as it can be.)

after way too frigg'n long, i finally have the Internet set up at home again. (i missed you RedTube!)

So check this shizzle out:
-the cable was to be installed Saturday (between the hours of 9am and 12pm.)
-I woke up at promptly nine and promptly remembered i was drinking the night before and promptly fell back to sleep.
-10:00am i get a call that they're at the gate, i tell them to wait with a mouth full of hangover sludge
-i headed down and found one guy trying to climb over the gate, but it wasn't going very well.
-they kept forgetting their stuff

when it came to "question time" the guy got really dismissive with me like i was a tech noob. these were the bone's of contention
1. he kept referring to the "Ethernet cable" as a "Cat 9 cable" i knew they were one in the same but when he said I'd have to buy one (while he was holding one in his hand) my hangover made me doubt my self.
2.he asked if the cable was running through my closet, i showed him where it was. then asked if he was going to need to knock any holes in my walls like the last guy did and he scoffed like i was the village idiot.
3. they rigged up the router by just laying it and the cables all over the TV in my room (it looked like crap).
4. i asked him if i could use my old wireless router, he told me "no way, Verizon routers are too advanced". i ask if he was sure, the set up was the same, and he basically told me that i don't' know what I'm talking about and that i should go out and buy a new one. i tried to debate it, saying that the router has the proper connections and all that. he gave me the "do what ever you want" look and gave me my receipt.

that is one of my biggest pet peeves when someone treats me like i don't' know what I'm doing...


So i decided to set up the router with my router my way...
router 1

oh, wait, what's this?
router 2
let's go top to bottom...
power light- on
either net (Cat 9) Input- on
Internet connection status- ON MOTHER FUCKER!

(the light at the bottom is for the wifi signal, but that's always on if the router is working, which it does even without Internet. so I've been able to print wirelessly even without the Internet... but i digress).

ON, the Internet is running through their router, through mine, and working like a a fucking dream.

that's right, don't you try and out nerd me, or I'll shove that CAT 9 right up your Ethernet Port, bitch.



Exile

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • You had me at "ethernet." Oh baby, talk tech to me, yeah.

    I could have used your expertise here today as I sorted through stuff from my husband's work/storage room in our basement. I had to determine what to keep, what was useful and garage saleable, and what was hopelessly out of date and should be junked. I had everything from old 5.25" floppies (gone, except the apple ones that go with the apple iigs woz edition that I'm trying to sell) to a 10 dB signal amplifier (for TV or broadband) to a power supply that may or may not be fried. Some stuff I couldn't identify at all and just put in a box called Matt's Shit (my dad labeled it so) and I'll let him sort it out in S.C.

    By Blogger Bunny, at Monday, May 12, 2008 2:41:00 PM  

  • it's your husband's stuff?

    i would have put it all in one box and labled it "BASURA"

    (that's mexican for trash)

    By Blogger exile, at Monday, May 12, 2008 6:42:00 PM  

  • the HP engineer gave me shit when i brought my laptop for repair. was pissed as it was the first time HP gave me rotten service. i was too kind not to have reported him.

    By Blogger mistipurple, at Monday, May 12, 2008 9:52:00 PM  

  • moisti- i know, cocky techno-geeks. how dare they be rude to my moisti. you are a kind girl though, next time i'll do your tech support, hehehe

    By Blogger exile, at Monday, May 12, 2008 10:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home