.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

What's Worse, Apathy or Indifference?

I don't know and I don't care. Of all things I've been called in my life, and trust me there's a lot, I've never been called a optimist. The closest I come to optimism is what I call pessimistic-optimism. (Pessimistic-optimism is the act of expecting the absolute worst to make any outcome seem better. EG: when you break up with someone you think of it as if they died, that way if you ever see them you're almost pleasantly surprised.) But like I said, never an optimist. Today I read a story in the yahoo news that made the glass a little less than half empty. "The Optimist Club of Quakertown, Pennsylvania, is disbanding after 24 years, citing lack of interest. " what does that say for the clubs motto? Or motive for that matter. According to the article no one is showing up to join the club anymore. With attendance dwindling the club is closing. Part of me wonders wouldn't an optimist hang in there till the bitter end, hoping something would come along and save the club?

I can only imagine the meeting where they decided to close down the club. The chairman takes the podium to address the club.

Chairman: order, order we have a very big subject to discuss tonight.
Club member 1: What is it? We've been looking forward to what you have to say all night.
Chairman: not so fast, it looks like we're not going to be doing that any more.
Club member 1: I don't understand.
Chairman: the Optimist Club will be closing soon, we can see now that this isn't going anywhere.
Club member 2: What about the clubs motto?
Chairman: you mean "the glass is half full?" yeah, well it's empty now.
Club member 3: This is a gag, where's the hidden camera?
Chairman: no, no gag, no joke, we're really closing down. We have no new members and we don't think we can get more.
Club member 4: So what are you saying exactly Mr. Chairman?
Chairman: I'm saying this is the last meeting, and that we're disbanding.
Club member 1: But we can still be optimistic on our own, right?
Chairman: I wouldn't recommend it, if we couldn't do it as a group I doubt you can do it on your own.
Club member 2: are we still holding the bake sale?
Chairman: no! Look, there's no more club, that's it.
Club member 4: are we going to go over this more at the next meeting?
Chairman: you're kidding, right?


here's the link to the story:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=5&u=/nm/20041201/od_nm/life_apathy_dc


Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

1 Comments:

  • What's funny about this to me is Quakertown is about 20 minutes from my house. :)

    Thanks for the comments on my blog. I hadn't had a chance to come check out yours 'till now.

    JD the BH

    By Blogger Fensty, at Sunday, December 05, 2004 11:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home