.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Excuse Me, I Have To Suddenly Speak Spanish

If you work in a bilingual office you'll understand what I'm talking about, and if you only speak one language in said office, you can truly relate. In my office the entire clerical staff speaks Spanish and English. They are all far more fluent in English, even though the tend to "ax" questions. This I have no problem with. What I can't stand is when I walk into a room they suddenly start speaking Spanish. It's not that the conversation calls for it, it's that they don't want me to know what they're saying.

Before you start thinking that this is paranoia consider the following:
  1. When they speak Spanish they don't know how to use "big words." often they have to use English words to fill in the gaps.
  2. If I'm in the room and they don't realize it they continue speaking English.
  3. seeing as though I'm usually the odd man out on the conversations this is intentionally done to exclude me.
  4. though they are bilingual and paid accordingly they rarely need to speak Spanish. Usually it is just to give directions. More often then not they have to speak English.

The irony about this is that I really don't care what they're talking about. I can hear everything in the office, it's not like there are many secrets left. It's only when they notice I'm in ear shot do the conversation turn to Spanish.

It's really irksome when the entire office is talking and laughing and it's all in Spanish, you try and join it and just get the espanol snub.




Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

3 Comments:

  • We have this in our mail room. 3 ladies converse in Filipino whilst the one English speaking lady has no clue what they are talking about, it drives her mad. Like you said though, who cares what they're talking about anyway, old diddies have nothing better to do than YAP YAP YAP.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:14:00 AM  

  • I figure the best way is the immature way! Start talking to yourself in your own made up language. I like to imitate the language that is spoken in that "SIMS" game. Its kinda like nonsensical gibberish. Good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:33:00 AM  

  • it's the fact that they're doing it purposely to exclude you, that's the part that makes you mad. like you don't have the manners to not eaves drop. or when you realize they have a "nick name" in their language for you.

    i think peter may be on to something with his SIMS speak.

    viva la resistance!

    By Blogger exile, at Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home