.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Monday, September 10, 2007

For Snakes Sake

Recently it has come to my attention that I have been neglectful to Herb (my
pet snake) and that this may wind up biting me in the ass (literally).

See, it is a cardinal rule that when you have a pet snake you must play with
them on a semi regular basis. it doesn't have to be much, but once or twice
a month should do it.

the reasons for this are:
1. it keeps them healthy, forcing them to stretch instead of laying curled
up
2. allows you to inspect them for any health issues (cuts from rats, etc.)
3. it keeps them from becoming mean...

it's number three that has me concerned right now. see, a while back (as you
may recall) I wrote up a post about how Herb shit on my couch, while I was
on the couch not less. when this happened I
was quite perturbed. I mean, here's my pet that I've taken care of for
nearly 10 years and he took a dump on me!

unfortunately this bothered me more than I though and I didn't take him out
for a while... ok, I haven't taken him out since that day (boo & hiss, it's
ok.)

but now I'm worried, see, he's been in there this whole time with out being
played with. (yes I've been feeding him, and cleaning out his poop, just not
playing with him). my concern is that he may be getting vicious, and seven
feet of vicious snake isn't a good thing.

Two weeks ago I attempted to take him out, but when I took him to the tub to
take a bath I thought he nipped at the towel rack (it may have been my
imagination). so I quickly put him away.

since then I fed him a big fat rat which he devoured and he'd had time to
"digest".

now the moment of truth is here, I've decided that tomorrow is the day I
will take him out of his tank and play with him. if he's a good boy and
remembers me everything will be ok and I'll resolve to be a better owner. on
the other hand, if he strikes at me I will have to get rid of him, and
depending on how vicious the strike is I may have to... well, you know.

needless to say the prospect of "getting rid of" such a long time pet is not
a possibility I'm looking forward to.

so this Thursday there will be one of two possible HNT pics. either it will
be me posing with Herb, or a picture of a large bandage on my arm...

wish me luck!

(the reason I'm waiting till tomorrow is that when I go to the Chiropractor
they put wax on my hands and I can't wash the smell off... why take the
chance...)


exile

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Its tought when you have to face a situation like this. He has been your pet for a long time now, but is it really worth you getting eaten by your veloved pet??
    I hope things go well for you. Cause even though Herb tends to give me the heebee geebee's, he isn't all that bad by nature!
    ((((HUGS))))

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, September 10, 2007 3:13:00 PM  

  • hella- it's true, i don't want to be eaten by herb, but he's worth the risk

    By Blogger exile, at Monday, September 10, 2007 7:04:00 PM  

  • Yikes, I'll be crossing all my extremities for a Herb HNT. We've been kinda remiss with Slither too on the getting-her-out-to-play front, but then as a ball python she's not as big as Herb.

    Hey, do you feed him in the same cage where he lives? Since Slither was a baby we've been taking her out and feeding her in a separate, smaller, cage... that way whenever we put our hand into her "home" she knows it's just us going in and never mistakes the movement for food. And when she's in the other cage she knows food will be dropped in soon. But then, she eats dead rats cuz she was captive born so has never had live food. Not sure if that makes a difference... anyway... rambling!

    Good luck sweetie, it would suck to have to lose him.

    (PS... nice HNT last week babe... hubba hubba ;)

    By Blogger Shora, at Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:25:00 PM  

  • Best of luck...to you AND Herb.

    HUGS...

    By Blogger Polt, at Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:27:00 PM  

  • Shora- thanks for the extremity crossing. i've always fed him in his home, but i follow the same routine, he knows that the far side of the tank opens for his food. when i take him out i always open the side he sleeps on and pull apart his rocks, then pet him a bit before i pull him out
    (thanks for the HNT kudos)


    polt- thanks man, i just hope i don't lose my snake to my snake

    By Blogger exile, at Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home