.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Thursday, November 04, 2004

From Apples to Assholes

While delivering paperwork to our facility across the street I decided to eat an apple. Sounds respectable enough, what could possibly be wrong with that. I'm enjoying my few moments of liberation from my cubicle to walk in the sun and eat an apple. After taking a huge bite someone from the office begins to engage me in impersonal banter, the kind that goes "how are you today?" and you respond "good," regardless of your current state. So he asks me how I'm doing as I take a large bite of my apple, clinging to what manners I have I don't really respond audibly but make a gesture with my head and shoulders that I hope implies that I'm good.

This does not suffice.

I receive a look from this fellow employee that I'm quite rude for not answering him appropriately. I hold up the apple with the huge bite in it, but he frowns on it like I'm offering him a bite. In a huffy manner he walks away while I just stand there bewildered at his response. Was he expecting me to hock up this chunk of apple to give him an answer he would have forgotten as soon as I was out of sight? I'm not a rude person, I just don't understand why someone just accepts that I can be.

It's like when your on the phone doing work and there's a personal conversation behind you that is so loud you can't hear who you're on the phone with. If you ask them to keep it down they look at you like you're the biggest asshole in the office, when you would rather not be on the phone at all. You don't want to listen to the person on the phone, you don't want to tell them to shut the hell up.

The irony is that if you try so hard to not be rude and suffer the consequences, but if you're a little more rude you get eat you apple in peace.



Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

2 Comments:

  • *laughs* You should have spit it out right there on his feet and then given him the customary "fine". It would have given him a reason to be annoyed, since it seems he wanted one, and it would have given you the priceless look on his face as he stares down at the apple-goo on his shoes. See, better for everyone. Maybe next time. :)

    By Blogger Bitter Sweet, at Saturday, November 06, 2004 4:35:00 PM  

  • That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, February 05, 2007 8:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home