.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Take A Joke You Moron

Once again I'm in trouble. I joked with someone in another office who misunderstood what I said. Now I've been the butt of a joke or two, I've teased and laughed, but never have I done this whole "mid funny shut down." I've met so many people that do this, you're laughing, joking, having a good time, and they misread one thing you say and act like you were never joking with them. All I was doing was joking around with a girl at another office on the phone, her and I were laughing and nothing was a miss. But then, as I said that I hate having to leave my crappy cubicle I said "I know this may involve you having to get out of your chair, but we all have to make sacrifices." The request was to leave a note on someone's computer, but all the jokes were lost in that second. What kind of mentality is it that you have a full mood shift in that short of time. Maybe I'm not normal but if someone offends me while we're joking I don't' take it to heart unless I know there was some spite behind it.

An example of this happened a while ago when I was at one of our other offices where I joke around with the receptionists there. One of the girls walks up to me and says "you really need a girlfriend," not as a joke, not as a punch-line, just to be mean. Now if this had been in a situation where we were joking back and forth I would have replied "are you making an offer?" But this was just spite pure and simple. With my phone call I had no spite, no unintentional spite, I don't even know this other person.

Sometimes the burden of spreading joy is a heavy one, why can't those assholes lighten up?


Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

1 Comments:

  • Heh. This same thing happened to me a few days ago. I was joking around with a guy who I've known for quite awhile now and I, jokingly, made a sarcastic remark about him being a pompous ass. It was an obvious attempt (however poor) at humor. He suddenly tells me I've gone too far. I always thought, as you said in your post, going too far is when one has said something with spiteful intent.

    ARGH! HUMANS!

    By Blogger Bitter Sweet, at Tuesday, November 09, 2004 6:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home