.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Exile-mas

This year we opened our presents on Christmas Eve, everything went well, everyone was here. Mom, Dad, Joe, My Cousin (and husband), and my Grandma. My grandpa didn’t attend though, due to a case of the flu he decided to stay home.

The presents all went well, and yes, the flying pig hat was a huge success.

Unfortunately the evening did not end well at all

December 24, 2005, my Grandpa, Raymond Chang died.

We found the body around 10:30, it looks like the flu had taken the last of his strength and he collapsed on the floor. My family and I sprung into action as soon as we heard (I don’t think I drove slower than 90 on the way over to my grandmother’s house.) The sheriff proceeded with the barrage of questions that always surround death. Around midnight the Neptune Society arrived to away the body. My Mom and I elected to clean up the bathroom and bedroom where he had an “accident” before he passed. The family entrusted me to handle the phone calls with the Neptune Society and wait for them to arrive because I don’t sleep. I was there at 2:00am when they came to take his body, I signed the paperwork while everyone else either went home or stayed to consol my Grandma.

There was one moment that broke my heart; it was grandma’s goodbye.

It’s always tough when someone you love dies, it’s even harder when it happens on a holiday. To be honest I’ve been in shock the entire time, it didn’t even dawn on me that he was really gone when I went in to cover the body.

“Oh hon-ito,” she said choking on tears. “You were such a good man, you were so kind, and sweet.” She began to cry and I steadied her. “Oh god, what am I going to do with out you,” she cried. “You weren’t that sick, you weren’t.” she attempted to tuck the blanket around him and began pulling at his shirt. “Was it your heart honey, did you heart give out on you.” She pulled the collar of his shirt exposing the scar that ran across his chest like a zipper. She began to shake as I helped her to her feet. “You’re so cold hon-ito,” she said turning to me. “I tried to warm him up, but his cheeks were so cold…” (When she found him earlier she thought he had just fallen out of the bed.)



It’s 4:30 on Christmas morning and I’m writing this, I can’t sleep, but I have to, tomorrow I have to go though Ray’s computer to look for anything we need to settle his affairs.


My mom said earlier, “You know, life always happens at like 3 am, babies, deaths, it’s always at like 3 am.”




Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

Labels:

20 Comments:

  • if anyone wants to offer condolences please leave out the “God” stuff, it’s never been my thing, and I don’t really want to go into it right now.

    By Blogger exile, at Sunday, December 25, 2005 6:13:00 PM  

  • I'm sorry sweetie. You know my Daddy died unexpectedly on Christmas day so I understand.

    Was this the grandpa of the bb gun lesson story? :)

    By Blogger Rebecca, at Sunday, December 25, 2005 6:37:00 PM  

  • i'm sorry your dad died that way as well.

    this is the grandpa who married my grandma, he went to jail once because we didn't have fishing licences.

    By Blogger exile, at Sunday, December 25, 2005 6:49:00 PM  

  • i'm sorry, so sorry, it must hurt a lot. it's too sudden.
    one thing i understand is that, i think grandpa 'chose' to go without grandma looking on, is to spare her further pain. it happened twice in my family. the rest of my family did not witness the passing of my dad and mom. i was there, on both occasions, i think my siblings would not have been able to handle it. and my dad's birthday is on 24th dec. i feel both sad and happy on christmas.
    my deepest condolences, dear exile. hugs.

    By Blogger mistipurple, at Sunday, December 25, 2005 8:07:00 PM  

  • Honey, I'm so sorry. It's impossible to find the right words for something like this, so just know I'm thinking about you sweetie, and sending you huge hugs. xoxox

    By Blogger Shora, at Monday, December 26, 2005 9:26:00 AM  

  • just hugs to you and your family...

    wishin you

    peace...

    By Blogger Margaret, at Monday, December 26, 2005 11:24:00 AM  

  • We burried my grandfather on Christmas eve some years back. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    C.

    By Blogger The Guardian, at Tuesday, December 27, 2005 4:46:00 AM  

  • my thoughts are with you and your family.

    By Blogger Randi, at Tuesday, December 27, 2005 8:54:00 AM  

  • misti- i does kinda hurt, but i think i've known for years that he was going to go, regadless it's still very sad. i'm sorry to hear that you lost your mom and dad, i know that they far closer to you than my grandfather was to me.

    shora- the hugs help a lot, thanks

    monkey- thanks monkey

    libra- standing there with my hand on her back, it was all i could do from keeping from bursting into tears. i couldn't let it out though, i had to be strong for them.

    cutie- thanks, i'm thinking we've gotta get grandparents to plan out their departure times better

    ranid- thanks kid.

    By Blogger exile, at Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:13:00 PM  

  • jennie- i'm doing fine, it's mainly my grandma that i'm concerned about. she's out lived the two men she's ever loved.

    By Blogger exile, at Tuesday, December 27, 2005 5:52:00 PM  

  • Ex my freakin cable connection was out here for two days and I sent a couple emails to the wrong addy. I just said words really dont help I have losts everyone except my mom and grandmother so I understand. If you ever just need a every day guy to talk to I will get you my number. Ok now I wonder who I sent those emails to with my phone number.

    By Blogger truckdriver_sefl, at Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:04:00 PM  

  • truckdriver- thanks slick, i appreciate the thoughts man. as for the e-mails i'm sure you should be cool, either that or you got your sefl a date, hehehe.

    By Blogger exile, at Tuesday, December 27, 2005 8:31:00 PM  

  • I guess the thing that hits me the most about this is how your Grandma arrived home and found him. Just a tragedy.

    By Blogger Ontario Emperor, at Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:38:00 PM  

  • oe- that night my grandma followed me in her car because she couldn't see very well at night. if i had stayed to help her in with the packages i would have been there when she found him. the one time i didn't offer...

    By Blogger exile, at Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:24:00 PM  

  • Ex, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'd like to say I know how you feel, but I don't. How do you feel? What was your grandp like?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:03:00 PM  

  • very sorry for you and your families loss, exile.

    By Blogger bri, at Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:44:00 AM  

  • Exile, I'm so sorry to read about your Grandpa's death. Myt houghts are with you.It is so hard to lose someone, and especially during the holidays. The Xmas holidays are going to be difficult for years to come, but you will get through it. I know you and your Grandma will get the support you both need at this sad time.

    By Blogger Viviane, at Thursday, December 29, 2005 2:38:00 PM  

  • jack- well, i won't lie, it's a sad thing. he was a good man and loved my grandma a lot. but this is part of life, can't regret it.

    b.- thanks b

    mel- thanks, we've just been busing our selves lately, taking care of things

    viv- yeah, it's going to be tough for my grandma, the rest of us will deal with deat they way we always do. we'll sit around at dinner and tell the fun stories we remember about those we lost.

    By Blogger exile, at Thursday, December 29, 2005 7:19:00 PM  

  • Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope you have a good holiday skiing though.

    By Blogger Jason, at Friday, January 06, 2006 12:11:00 PM  

  • jason- thanks man, that' pretty much what ya gotta do, just keep live'n (or live'n la vida loca, if you're into that)

    By Blogger exile, at Friday, January 06, 2006 1:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home