.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Monday, July 24, 2006

Work’n In A Pine Mine, Go'n Down Down Down...

I don’t like physical labor.

I’m just not into it.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the feeling of accomplishment one receives from taking on a large (dare I say, insurmountable) task, but honestly I’m not a fan of the work.

Me, I’m an office monkey, give me a huge project with a banana as my reward and I am dauntless (that’s a metaphorical banana).

This weekend we had to do Weed Abatement up at the cabin in Big Bear. For those of you who don’t know, weed abatement is the act of cleaning up all the pine needles and branches and crap off your property. The reason this is so important is that if there’s a fire the ground it’s self won’t erupt into a flaming carpet of doom.

Very few people realize how many pine needles are lost over the course of a year, but let me tell you, it’s pretty close to a fuck-ton. There were some areas where it was well over 4 inches thick. I swear, with the amount of shit on the ground you’d think the trees would be dead or something, but no they just stood their laughing at us with their tree laughter.

We were supposed to have a “full crew” of people up there. Myself, my dad, my mom, my brother, two of my brother’s friends, and my cousin-in-law (is that right?) Steve. Of those seven people that were supposed to show up it was my mom, my dad, and myself.

The original plan was to have everyone be there Saturday morning, we work for a while, clean the place up, then spend the weekend playing on sea-doos and fishing. Yeah, that didn’t happen. Instead while the other four people were out “gallivanting” about, (swimming in my parent’s pool no less) we were busting our asses scooping wet and rotting pine-needles into trashcans.

The one plus side to it all was the weather. Ya see, lately in “the valley of the dirt people” (Lake Elsinore, etc.) it was hitting 115 degrees by 10 am and it was so muggy you didn’t so much breath the air as you drank it. But up in Big Bear the temperature was a cool 70 degrees with thunder and lighting, with scattered downpours. With all the heat I forgot what cold weather felt like, it was surreal to be walking around with my umbrella (yes, I always have an umbrella in my backpack) in the middle of July. (For those of you who are not Californian’s keep in mind this never happens, and I mean never). There were a couple times I just walked out into the rain just to remember what if felt like.

Coming home on Sunday was not exactly pleasant though, driving down the mountain, as we descended the temperature ascended. It was horrible, like driving into a wet fart I tell’s ya. By the time we finally reached home we could barely recall what the 70 degrees felt like.

At least I did learn two things this weekend: (1.) While it’s better to be working up a sweat in 70 degree weather than just sitting and sweating in 115 degrees I’d still rather not be working. And (2.) my brother, his friends, and Steve are all assholes, thanks to their lack of help there was no sea-doo-ing.



Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

27 Comments:

  • I fuckng hate that... I go through that ALL the damned time.. All these people say Yea sure we'll help then they conviently are nowhere to be found. Make them clean the pool and drain it at the end of the year, that'll teach em.

    By Blogger Robyn, at Monday, July 24, 2006 11:56:00 AM  

  • Too bad you can't fire family members from your family.

    By Blogger Ghetto Photo Girl, at Monday, July 24, 2006 12:17:00 PM  

  • what is sea-doo-ing? sounds like fun.

    By Blogger mistipurple, at Monday, July 24, 2006 12:31:00 PM  

  • Family sucks.

    By Blogger Mackenzie, at Monday, July 24, 2006 1:18:00 PM  

  • robyn- fuck yeah! (btw, here in cali we never drain our pools, there's no frost)

    exo- we tried voting them off the island, it didn't work

    misti- thats when you go out riding on a sea-doo. (this is a seadoo: http://www.seadoo.com/en-US/Watercrafts/2006/Recreation/GTI/Introduction.htm )

    BV- esspecially when they flake

    By Blogger exile, at Monday, July 24, 2006 1:33:00 PM  

  • That's as bad as going to Yosemite for a wedding, working the whole time and not be able to go on a hike or in the river. BOO!

    By Blogger Randi, at Monday, July 24, 2006 4:20:00 PM  

  • randi- it's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife, isn't it ironic? don't ya think?

    (hehehe)

    By Blogger exile, at Monday, July 24, 2006 4:50:00 PM  

  • Exile - I feel for ya..I spent all week before preparing for the party I had this past saturday. I was convinced that the tree in my backyard had a vendetta against me. The thing must have dropped every last bud/leaf it had.
    Oh and we already know that yes, my brother too is an asshole and didnt help me either!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 24, 2006 5:21:00 PM  

  • Man you got burned by your bro and his friends sweetie! I think payback shall be a bitch?

    Btw anything "4 inches thick" can't be that bad!

    By Blogger Sassy, at Monday, July 24, 2006 5:46:00 PM  

  • Unless it's four inches of bulletproof glass between you and certain sweet sex. I'm just sayin'.

    Exile, honey. Physical labor keeps men masculine. Like bikini waxes keep women pretty. Just suck it up!

    By Blogger Ghetto Photo Girl, at Monday, July 24, 2006 6:26:00 PM  

  • i want to know what tree laughter sounds like...

    By Blogger Amanda, at Monday, July 24, 2006 7:08:00 PM  

  • White collar girl all the way. I admire people that like hard labor, becuase I myself can't stand it...

    By Blogger Dizzie, at Monday, July 24, 2006 11:32:00 PM  

  • hella- i completely feel you, tell me, do your parents regard him as the perfect one? the whole weekend my parents bitched about how pissed they were that my brother didn't show, yet tonight it was like nothing happened.

    sassy- yes, i must fine a good way to get even, but how... and btw, 4 inches thick is very bad, if you're build like a tuna can

    amanda- kinda swishy, they're pricks like that.

    heart of Darkness- "hard work never hurt anyone who paid someone else to do it."

    By Blogger exile, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:22:00 AM  

  • exo- there are far better physical activities to keep one trim other than labor.

    By Blogger exile, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:39:00 AM  

  • Hmmm good point! No one wants a tuna can...
    Although I should remember what my momma taught me:

    it's not the length
    it's not the size
    it's how many times he can make it rise.

    By Blogger Sassy, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:38:00 AM  

  • sassy- i remember what my bro's friend nick always says "i might not hit bottom, but i'll bang the shit out of the sides"

    By Blogger exile, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:13:00 AM  

  • Exile - Amazing . YOu are right completely!! The bro in question is the golden child. He can act like an ass one day and the next he is the saint of the family....jeesh, just cause my halo slips every so often :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:48:00 PM  

  • i went sea-doo-ing thanks. did i mention i have a vivid imagination?

    By Blogger mistipurple, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:19:00 PM  

  • now, i wanna say i know something you don't. teehee.

    By Blogger mistipurple, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:48:00 PM  

  • hella- you gotta use your horns to keep that halo in place

    misti- i have a vivid imagination too, but you should humor me and say what you were thinking anyways.

    By Blogger exile, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006 8:31:00 AM  

  • you totally know that you sound bitter right? lmao.....(picture me pointing and doing the simpsons kid laugh. "ha ha") sorry i'm being a brat, it happens sometimes....hard labour is hot btw...i love watching a MAN work up an honest sweat with physical work.....gotta run....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:36:00 AM  

  • hahhaaahaa. what you don't know is what's going on at mitz'. oooooo i gotta run now. bye.

    By Blogger mistipurple, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:53:00 AM  

  • mitzee- you're just upset that you don't get to oogal Shirtless McMuscles

    misti- always in the dark that mitzee is

    By Blogger exile, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:00:00 AM  

  • omg EXILE how dare you say i'm always in the dark? or do you mean you? cuz in that case, yes it's true. lol.....as for shirtless mcmuscles, i get to oogle him daily and its sweet i tell ya...sweet...now then did you mean you as in you shirtless mcmuscles, cuz in that case yes, since you live in CALI i guess not....doh!

    misti snitching on me, there is some nonsense which all started from YOU exile at my place and then spiralled, what else is new?

    BRAT!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:27:00 AM  

  • i have repented. i love mitzzee i love mitzzee i love mitzzee i love mitzzee i love mitzzee i love mitzzee i love mitzzee i love mitzzee, and i love you too, exile!
    no more snitching life for me! lol!

    By Blogger mistipurple, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:44:00 AM  

  • Is "fuck-ton" a new unit of scientific measure?

    By Blogger Beth, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:45:00 AM  

  • mitzee- it's amazing that with all this warm weather it's still BITTER in canada

    misti- she has seen the light!

    QOA- yeah, it's a cunt hair over a regular ton

    By Blogger exile, at Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home