.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Quandary OF Business Ethics

Recently I've come across a few little ethical quandaries, and seeing as though blogging at work doesn't cross any personal ethical boundaries I thought I'd pose them to all you lucky readers out there.

1. At our office we have a girl who does the staffing for our production level employees. The staffing girl is a bit ditzy at times, but she's really nice so I over look it a lot. (She spends 8 hours a day on myspace, hisssss). Today her supervisor came in so I asked him to wait while I called her to the front desk. Before she came to the front he tells me "thanks for calling back there, but just so you know there are times that I'm going to come in that I don't' want you to call her."

It's pretty clear this guy isn't too huge a fan of our staffing girl, and his implication is that he wants to catch her "not working." so the question is, should I continue to announce him so she won't get in trouble or should I not interfere? (FYI, these people affect my position in no way, shape, or form.)

2. While ordering the office supplies I noticed that though suppliers like Office Depot, there are offers for free stuff on orders over $50, like luggage and radios. Now, normally I'd place supply orders that were well over the mark (like $500) so getting the free stuff is always in my grasp. These purchases are strictly made for the company, not for personal use.

Seeing as though if we spend over $50 we get free shipping the luggage wouldn't cost the company anything, so should I order supplies, use the coupon, and keep the luggage for my self?

3. I've noticed that my company produces a lot of waste, and I mean a lot. We waste tons of copy paper and fill dumpsters full of discarded plastic parts. The company has been in business for years, but no one has instituted a recycling program for these materials. If I were to move on this, I would make a fuck-ton of work for my self, step on a few toes, and probably get no real recognition.

So should I work on the recycling issue or should I just keep quite? (keep in mind, they've already passed me over once for a promotion and show no intention of moving out of my receptionist position.)




Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

10 Comments:

  • #1. Unless your job description specifically instructs you to announce every visitor the second they walk in the door, or your boss has told you to buzz him the second you see someone, then I say let the man walk in and tell you what he wants before announcing him. If her door is open then I don't see a problem with him walking back unannounced, unless she has asked you to do it another way. If she is sitting there goofing off online with her door open expecting you to cover for her, that's not your problem. If you like her you could warn her that he is planning on popping in unannounced. If not, stay out of it.

    #2. Definitely a gray area. Check company policy. Most large companies have specific policies on this. When my husband was full time guard their policy was that all incentives belonged to them. This included frequent flyer miles on tickets they purchased (even though they really couldn't use them) or incentives by the airlines to compensate when they got bumped. It's possible that nobody will care if you get a freebie and keep it though.

    #3. I'd be tempted to do it just because it's the right thing to do. But sometimes it's hard to do the right thing.

    By Blogger Rebecca, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:59:00 PM  

  • fuck em and take the luggage.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:04:00 PM  

  • becca- hmmmmm.. #1 leaves me in the same spot. #2 i suppose it is the company's. #3 yeah, it is hard

    mitzee- that's your advice for everything, hehehe

    By Blogger exile, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:29:00 PM  

  • 1) Tell the girl that he's on to her and that he told you not to announce him anymore.

    2) Get the luggage. I am currently wearing 14k earings that I got from ordering supplies.

    3) Don't waste your time.

    By Blogger Mackenzie, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:32:00 PM  

  • bv- you are wise beyond your hair color (hehehe)

    you're right, i shoudlnt' waste my time

    By Blogger exile, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:41:00 PM  

  • i really don't know. some places are not worth the effort. and ethics vary everyday. i'm faced with a bunch of ungrateful people who have just jumped on board. not sure if i should topple their boat. not that i can't. or if i should.
    see? if i don't talk sexy, i am utterly doomsday.

    By Blogger mistipurple, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:08:00 PM  

  • i say bust her, skip the luggage, and maybe drop a line on the recycling.

    By Blogger Randi, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:50:00 PM  

  • misti- no point in towing dead weight

    i dunno, you get'n all doomsday is kinda sexy, hehehe

    randi- i would, but to be honest, my job is the same way, so i'd hate to get shit when i have nothing to do.

    By Blogger exile, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:59:00 PM  

  • I'm with BV. well said.

    By Blogger SkookumJoe, at Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:35:00 AM  

  • skook- who wouldn't be with BV? (she's a cutie)

    oh wait, you mean her opinion, yeah, uh, me too. hehehe

    By Blogger exile, at Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home