.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Monday, November 13, 2006

5:30 am

Nothing wakes one from a restless sleep than faster than gasping for air at two o'clock in the morning.

Thursday one of my co workers came into the office regaling us with the details of how she had taken the previous day off of work to care for her child. The kid had picked up a flew bug from one of the other filthy monkeys at her school. Upon hearing this, I made the humble request that she keep the plague away from me. This resulted in a playful cough or two in my direction. Needless to say, I was not amused.

Friday the coworker with the disease-ridden child comes in to the office looking like death warmed over. Her eyes are nearly sealed closed and she's walking around much as one would imagine the damned left to walk the earth. Upon noting this observation, I made one of my own, my daily grogginess from waking at 5:30 was in fact well into the realm of exhaustion. Those playful coughs had taken their toll.

This night was also a burger night. I figured that I could just cruise through burger night and catch up rest with the remainder of the weekend. Of course at 3 am or so, the virus that was stripping me of my strength and senses had nestled it's self in my throat.

Saturday The day was spent in a haze, I attempted to OD the virus on a combination of cold medicine, vitamins, and water. In this state I found out that not only had I spread the disease to everyone who attended burger night, but I had also found that mixing Dayquil and Nyquill makes a fine Afternoon-quil.

The night was long, I woke every few hours coughing up the substance building inside me, I knew I couldn't let it settle into my lungs. Due to my years working for the county in a dust filled building my lungs have become receptive to every virus I come in contact with. Thus I have battled this virus with extra zeal, seeing as though it rooted into my throat so strongly, it only stood to reason that it would play havoc with my respiratory system.

Sunday consisted much of the same activities as Saturday (medicine induced narcolepsy) save for a bowling trip from my Grandma's B-day. So inspite of my condition I went, I bowled, (I sucked), but I did manage to get us some free pop corn. Needless to say, Grandma was happy, but I was woosey.

Luckily I checked my self in for a little "over the phone nurse care." it's amazing how a few kind words can really give you the strength to push through an illness.

Monday the virus decided that it wasn't going down without a fight. At 2 am, the virus decided to make a break for my lungs, trying to fill them with their vial ilk.

This is where I am now, nearly 3 hours later wide awake. Every time I lay down I feel my lungs filling slowly, in the few moments I nod off I wake up gasping.

finally, at 2 am, I made the decision that the best way to fight this would be to just ride out the remainder of the virus' life span.

it's now 5:30 am, and I'm sitting here holding a last stand against the remainder of this viral intruder. I've pushed it from my raw and scorched throat and now I have to do is keep it from taking up residence in my lungs.

Glancing at the clock, I know this is the time I should be getting up for work, but instead I will be calling in sick.

trading a day's pay for a victory over a little bug, definitely a pytretic victory.



Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home