.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Plan B

I've never been a big fan of Plan B.

Plan B is never usually as good as Plan A, which pretty much explains why it's a Plan B.

We fall back to Plan B because it usually does not get you everything you wanted, but it still manages to accomplish the goal.

I'm setting my Plan B in motion.


The Situation-
a while back i took a promotion into a position that is, well not living up to expectations. the slight increase in pay has not made up for the stress, the work, or the aggravation that I've endured. While this job has been an endurance trial, i will admit that i could have done a much better job. Currently the big problem is revolving around time off.

in the past 8 months I've taken 3 weeks off (not counting the week that the company shut down for x-mas or the time lost due to illness). (now before you start, i know I've been a bad Exile, but it was so worth it.) my last time off request was for my birthday/Florida trip, and my rational for asking for the time off was that it was going to be my last request for time off until the end of the year. (after all, my family vacation was put on hiatus, so there was no reason to not request the time off.)

what i wasn't expecting was that my with my dad's increase in health my family has decided to go through with the plans for a family vacation. they decided that instead of a trip to Laughlin we would do a trip to Las Vegas. (When you consider the gas for the boat and sea-doos Vegas is just cheaper.) My family is also looking forward to to meeting the Canadian of my dreams.

My dilemma is that plan was to take the time off during the middle of August before my Mom's B-day, but I've already burned up my last vacation of the year....

Plan A-
Plan A was to just go for it and ask my boss if i could have the time off, i figured that the news of my father doing so well may warm him over to the idea of being rid of me for a week. resulting me in me keeping my job and having the time off that i need.

Plan B-
Plan B was based on the idea that I've already asked for too much time off, and the only option i have is to find another job, and submit my notice with a one week buffer between jobs to take the vacation. of course the prospect of looking for a job sucks so much ass...

Well... i attempted Plan A, to which Boss Man denied me. he made a point that i was taking advantage of his generosity by requesting so much time off and putting on everyone else to pick up the slack. (yes i do cover for other people, but i took more time off then anyone else.)but the other problem was that someone else was extorting the situation by cashing out vacation time then taking time off without pay.

So long story short (too late) i will not get any more time off at this job, but i don't' want to pass up a family trip that nearly never was.


So needless to say I'm falling back to Plan B.

it could be worse, at least it's not Plan C (who can get weapons grade plutonium at this time of day?)








Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • so do you get a set number of days/weeks for paid vacation? have you exceeded that allotment?

    instead of going the whole week, why not just go for an extended weekend that coincides with the dates they will be there?

    By Blogger fatwonkkid, at Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:06:00 AM  

  • I was thinking of the long weekend thing, too... sometimes you simply can't do it all.

    By Blogger Randi, at Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:55:00 AM  

  • Sometime the only way to happiness is Plan B. Sometimes things are just meant to be.

    By Blogger Sassy, at Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:46:00 PM  

  • oh exile, i'm so sorry. maybe this is what needs to happen so you finally are forced to find a better job--one where you are appreciated and your boss isn't totally nuts (that little episode in that blog you wrote was ridiculous). it's wonderful to see that you have your priorities straight--that family comes first. good luck to you and i hope it all works out for the best for you.
    -j

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:46:00 PM  

  • fatwonkkid- well, there wasn't really a set amount, normally people only take off what they saved up, then occationally "time off without pay" i've been taking more than the allotment

    randi- and sometimes, you can

    sassy- luckily i put the penis in happenis

    H.Wood- yeah, but i couldn't screw my coworkers that hard. i do have some sort of concince... somewhere...

    J- thanks J, i think it's about time i start leading my life according to my own plan

    By Blogger exile, at Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:08:00 PM  

  • Could you not have asked for an unpaid holiday -- it's one notch up losing the job in its entirety. Then again, this could be the big ticket you've been waiting for to get outta that job and look for something else you'd enjoy right? ;) When I was still in the US, I had 15 days of holiday too, which I didn't think was so bad. Ever since I moved and started working overseas, on my first year, I got 23 days off. Now I'm up to 30... and THEN I found out that this was actually normal for most countries! I felt so cheated hahaha!

    By Blogger Princess Banter, at Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:28:00 AM  

  • princess banter- he said no to the any time off paid or otherwise. i will take the opertunity to find something else. be it better or not, it will be my decision.

    yeah, other countires have better vacation, but have you ever seen their teeth? bleck

    By Blogger exile, at Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:49:00 PM  

  • Dude your boss sucks, but it sounds like the work structure sucks worse. Good luck with the job search. You deserve something better.

    By Blogger Ghetto Photo Girl, at Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:52:00 PM  

  • gph- it's odd to say, but he's really not that bad a guy. he's finally put his foot down, and it happens to be on me.

    but yes, the job it's self does suck

    By Blogger exile, at Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:02:00 PM  

  • Good luck with the job search. It sounds like you need to find a workplace that values their employees and looks at the circumstances of why someone might request extra leave.

    Ms SD

    P.S - Missed ya!

    By Blogger Sexy Duet, at Friday, June 22, 2007 5:03:00 AM  

  • SD- yeah, i think it's time for me to move on. why not get what i want out of life, right?

    so where you been hiding little girl?

    By Blogger exile, at Friday, June 22, 2007 10:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home