.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Monday, November 05, 2007

You Can't Fire Me... Slaves Have To Be Sold

I just came out of an impromptu meeting with the president of me company,
turns out not only were we for sale, but we've been sold.

yep, they just sold off the company to another company who owns a supplier
to us (so the farmer and a grocer owned by the same person). everyone
exiting the meeting is all freaked out now an preparing for the worst.

"what's going to happen to us?"
"are we going to lose our jobs?"
"will we still be the same company?"
"can I have a taquito?" (what? I wanted a taquito)

personally I'm not worried. the truth is that amidst the jet some, I am a
bit of flotsam, no matter which way the tide turns I'll be fine. I'm in a
little niche that is too important to just dissolve, yet not important
enough to replace (make me feel all warm and squishy just think'n about
that.)

the funny thing is that the two owners of the company are going different
ways on the issue. one has sold his half and said "see ya in the Bahamas"
while the other is going to stay on and will become an employee (a very well
paid employee).

I will say that I do feel empathetic towards those walking around with worry
and sadness written across their faces. a lot of people have been at the
company for nearly 15 years, so if change is scary, this must be
terrifying... but I still hold on to the belief that it will be too much
work to take over a company and fire off everyone just to retrain a whole
new crew. so most of us will stay on.

but hey, if they want to change the name of the person who signs my paycheck
they can go right ahead... so long as that's the only change they're going
to make to it! (of course, a raise would be nice, hint hint)


exile

5 Comments:

  • Wow, so is the boss man that we talk about still working as an employee or is he the one heading to the Bahamas???
    As for the tequito...did you get one?
    Was it beef or chicken??
    Did you save me a bite??
    What???? I wanted a tequito too!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, November 05, 2007 3:02:00 PM  

  • this is why I love working for the government. No buy-outs there.

    Good luck to you, though, Exile, ole buddy.

    HUGS...

    By Blogger Polt, at Monday, November 05, 2007 7:26:00 PM  

  • hella- so far no one is going anywhere. i didn't get a taquito, but i do want to give you a bite! Rar!

    polt- somedays i miss the gov job... you have to try to get fired

    By Blogger exile, at Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:36:00 PM  

  • I remember the day the company I was working for got sold - it was a scary time, but we were going form a family business to being owned by an Amercian company so there were a lot of changes.

    I hope there arent any bad changes for you.

    Ms SD

    By Blogger Sexy Duet, at Wednesday, November 07, 2007 2:17:00 AM  

  • SD- yeah, ironically, we're a bigger company being bought by a smaller company... and we're already americans, so no worries, hehehe.

    By Blogger exile, at Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home