.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Exile Industries: Department of Redundancy Department

Friday, March 18, 2005

Job Advice

I got a new job, I got a new job! Yes, I'm quite thrilled with that, mainly because I've been looking for a new one for the past two years. Now I've got the new job need to make a decision. The question is this: Should I work occasionally at night for my old job while working my new job?

(For my own sake I will refer to my current job as OJ (old job). And my new job as NJ (new job). Anything that is listed as something to consider will not have a NJ or OJ.)

Here are all the stats of my current situation:
  • OJ- have worked there for three years, no benefits
  • NJ- benefits right off the bat
  • OJ- pays $13.50 an hour
  • NJ- pays $13.00 and hour full benefits
  • OJ- I can do this job in my sleep
  • NJ- new company out side of the county, I need to be alert and awake to pull it off
  • OJ - if I keep working I will work maybe once or twice a week for a few hours a night.
  • NJ- I'll be working 40 hours a week
  • I will go to school at night, I usually take 3 classes a semester, so that's three nights I'll be at school.
  • I don't sleep well, so I'm constantly tired in the mornings as is
  • OJ- if I quit I can never come back, if I stay on partially I can sill come back
  • I'm very indecisive
  • both jobs are flexible around school
  • I'm poor, I need money
  • NJ- after a 90 day probation period (or so) I can get bumped up to $14 an hour
  • OJ- I don't like a lot of things about this job
  • OJ- my desk is not ergonomic, the cleaning people never dust, and I always get sick because the air is recycled. (I also have some breathing problems that I blame on the dust and mold in the office.)
  • NJ- very clean and tidy office
  • OJ- the times I will be working will be the times that the building's air conditioning will be off (nights and weekends)
  • I don't hang out with friends or go out drinking as often as I think I should
  • OJ- although they're going to be completely lost with out me, the work I'll do at night will be mainly busy work.
  • OJ- because I'll be working the off hours I can watch movies while I work.
  • OJ- in order to stay on the payroll I have to work at least a couple hours a pay period (every two weeks) this means I don't have to be here every week.
  • I've been under a lot of stress lately with work and school and so on. I can't decide if more money will make things better or worse.

Ok, that about sums it all up. If anyone (if possible, everyone) can throw me some advise I'll definitely appreciate it.




Exile

Original_exile@hotmail.com

9 Comments:

  • First. your blog often gives me a nice laugh to start my day. Second, congrats on the new job. One approach is to think career- the education means more money in your future. NJ - if you do your best means more money in your future. OJ means more money now but could hurt education or NJ. And ten years from now that extra money from OJ will be long gone but if you keep up with spending time with your friends they might still be with you. Good luck.

    By Blogger finished2912, at Friday, March 18, 2005 11:39:00 AM  

  • Finished makes a very valid point....but if you're poor you can't pay for school, or rent, or food, etc and therefore this will ultimately lead to stress. I say keep the OJ for a bit, a month, see how it goes, if at that point you are not handling the OJ, NJ and School well, then drop the OJ, as the NJ seems like something you will enjoy more and benefits. Also, remember, the grass always looks greener on the other side, until you get there....sometimes EASY work is best (OJ), when you REALLY want to focus your energies on School....don't quit just yet...see if u can manage first....sorry for the novel.

    And yes, your blog always makes me laugh....good on ya! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, March 18, 2005 12:16:00 PM  

  • I say just try staying on part-time and see how it goes; you can always change your mind if it doesn't work for you.

    By Blogger Kalleigh Hathaway, at Friday, March 18, 2005 12:49:00 PM  

  • My 2 cents. It's hard enough to do a full-time 40 hour a week job and school at night. While the money is nice, and welcome, you'll kill yourself getting it. Even when your job is totally rote and brainless. Doesn't matter which job it is you stay with - it sounds like you're really excited and into the new job - but I'd say stick with only one. It means stress as far as money goes, but trust me, that little bit of stress allows you to go out with your friends and to have five minutes of freedom here and there. Money can't make you happy. Oh, sure it'll help, but you have to be able to have the time to enjoy having it too.

    By Blogger Echrai, at Friday, March 18, 2005 1:09:00 PM  

  • you guys are right, it's like Dick Dietrick used to say:

    money can't buy love, but you can rent it.

    i'll hang with the OJ or a while working only when they ask me to, and if it doesn't work out i'll just stop.

    time to go drinking!

    By Blogger exile, at Friday, March 18, 2005 2:27:00 PM  

  • keep OJ and mess around and whatnot. Wait to actually be asked to leave OJ. That way you can squeeze as much juice out of your OJ as possible. They owe you that much for not giving you any benifits as a full time slave.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, March 18, 2005 5:48:00 PM  

  • if only nicole had taken that advice.

    yeah, i think i'll use it as a safty net and pick up some extra cash while i'm at it

    By Blogger exile, at Friday, March 18, 2005 9:45:00 PM  

  • I love that you are asking for advice on your blog. I might have to start doing that - it seems like a good way to get good objective advice.

    I could tell you what I think you should do, and though I love doing that, I am trying to get away from it. I will instead tell you what I am doing, and why I think it will benefit me.

    You seem to have a lot of issues with OJ, which is probably why you have been looking for a NJ for so long. You've probably built up some resentments in this time that's passed, like I have at mine. I am going to graduate school in the Fall, and I've had to make a decision of whether to keep working at my OJ while I attended school. What I decided was that there was a GOOD REASON why I didn't want to do OJ, very many reasons. Reason why it is becoming my OJ, and why I am moving onto the next great thing in my life, leaving behind all of the OJ crap and shit that comes with the OJ environment.

    My NJ I will get after grad school will actually pay less money than the job I have now (OJ). Money is important, but the money I am making now is not making me happy, and I think NJ will fulfill me much more, and that's what life is about for me - being satisfied and happy in what I am doing, being challenge, etc. The fact that I can do my OJ in my sleep is the problem, and I can continue to do it, or wipe the slate clean, and as I said wipe the slate clean is my intention.

    It is time for a change, and that can't happen if I hang onto the past, even for money. Remember, the money was not making my life the shiney-happy thing I want it to be.

    Personal time, for yourself, is extremely important. Priceless. If you aren't having as much of a social life as you want, it's a signal that something's out of whack. Follow your gut on this. It sounds like, perhaps, you are an overachiever - like me. I hope I am reading that correctly. Going to school is a wonderful thing, and is the best investment you can make in yourself (financially as well as otherwise). Go with that. You sound over-extended time-wise. Consider what your priorities really are, make a list if you have to, and I think you'll see that the chump change you get at the OJ does not fit in the plan.

    I also agree with finished2912, the more energy you put into your NJ, the better it will be for your future. Let go! :-)

    Congratulations on your NJ!!!!


    kumarihpx.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Maverick, at Saturday, March 19, 2005 1:57:00 PM  

  • i'm definately going to put the right effort into my new job, and not let the past controll me.

    now, if i can only apply that to my social life hehehe.

    By Blogger exile, at Saturday, March 19, 2005 4:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home